pebzz.com

 

07896 771622

©2018 by www.pebzz.com

 

 

London

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

How To Keep Your Pets Safe In Autumn?


PDSA offers advice on how to avoid toxic plants

Temperatures are starting to drop and that fresh, crisp autumnal feel is in the air. Autumn can be a brilliant time for you and your pets, and a time to enjoy the beautiful scenery as trees change from green to an array of rustic hues.

It’s also important to be aware of the seasonal dangers to our pets; there are a number of plants which can be very toxic, and in some cases fatal, if eaten, so it’s vital to know what to avoid.

“Our four-legged friends are naturally very inquisitive and will always want to sniff out new smells and objects”, says PDSA vet Olivia Anderson-Nathan.

“Knowing what to keep your pet away from this autumn will keep them safe –and prevent any impromptu visits to the vets if they eat something that could be toxic.”

Poisonous plants to avoid:

Acorns – they are toxic if eaten by pets, as their tannic acid affects the liver and kidneys. Unripe, green acorns are even more harmful.

Yew Trees – every part of this tree is poisonous to pets and even eating a few leaves can be serious. They are often found in churchyards so keep your eyes peeled.

Horse Chestnut trees – their bark, leaves, flowers, and conkers are all poisonous to pets. Conkers themselves could also be a choking hazard.

Autumn crocuses - these have pale mauve, pink or white flowers in autumn and all parts of the plant are potentially toxic.

Olivia adds: “When out walking this autumn, it’s crucial to be aware of any dangerous plants and trees that might cause harm to your pet. Keep a close eye on them, and try to walk your pooch somewhere you know is clear of toxic plants. If you know your pet’s a prime scavenger, you might need to take extra precautions like popping on a basket muzzle on them while you’re out and about to prevent them picking up anything dangerous.”

“Vomiting, diarrhoea, shaking and breathing problems are all signs that your pet might have eaten a poisonous plant”, adds Olivia. “But even if your pet’s not showing any signs, if they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t, call the vet straight away. The quicker you act, the quicker vets can provide essential treatment.”

This post first appeared on PDSA, please read the original post: here

For more information and top tips on how to socialise your pets in their early years, visit: www.pdsa.org.uk.

PDSA is on a mission to educate the nation on pet well being and is delighted that funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery is helping the charity to continue this vital work. Pebzz is grateful to be working with such a great cause.

#PDSA #Advisory #Pets #Autumn

13 views